Tuesday, June 24, 2008

First few days in Guatemala

note: i will not be capitalizing anything in this post because the caps key is super small and i always miss it.

anyway, i arrived into guatemala safely at about 9 30 on saturday night. i stayed the night at emil´s (one of the missionaries here) house and went to church with him in the morning. around 3 pm he took me to antigua where we went to another church and then i settled in with my host family. there is another girl staying in the room next to me who is 22 and from texas. her name is jazzelle and she showed me around the first night here.

so far i am loving it here. it is very beautiful, from the architecture to the weather. i´ve never walked to school before with a volcano in front of me, so that is pretty cool. the whole town is very ancient looking and it is very small. if i could post pictures i would. just google image search antigua if you want to see though, i´m sure they have better pictures then i do.

i started language school yesterday. i did 10 lessons and i guess i´m only supposed to do like 3 a day so my brain was pretty fried. the food here is awesome. so far every meal has just been me and jazzelle eating and whoever prepared it for us, watching us eat and smiling. we talk to the family but still, i feel like they should be eating with me. nothing so far has happened that has shocked me or made me feel uncomfortable. i guess this isn´t a super exciting blog. sorry.

well, i will try to get into a fight with some people and then write about it.

-colter

p.s.

liam, i am calling you later tonight so you can tell me all about the draft.
kyle, did you get my package?
tyler and shannon, i am excited to see you two.
family, i am safe and not sick and don´t have mosquito bites.

9 comments:

liamf said...

the draft is on thursday at 4.pm az time, so you might want to wait until after it happens to call me about it.

Anonymous said...

yay yay yay! i'm packing right now for our GRAND ADVENTURE!

Jill said...

Hi Baby! I found your site! I'm glad you don't have any mosquito bites! Ryan made me copies of your cd. I love it. I will tivo the draft for you. Your lamp came the day you left. We love you and miss you. ~Mom~

Kris said...

Hola mi sobrino,
We're thinking of you and keeping you in our prayers. Looking forward to reading more about your experience in Guatemala.
All the boys said to tell you "hi"

Colter said...

Liam, ya i just figured that out. I don´t know why i thought it was yesterday. also i saw the article on jennings...that really sucks. ¿do you have any goazcats information about where he stands? please include this in our conversation thursday night.

Kris said...

What is the name of the orphanage where you're going to be? Is there a website?

Colter said...

The name of the orphange is Momentos Presicos. ¨Precious Moments.¨ There is no web site. Lo Siento.

Jill said...

Colter - We are leaving for San Diego on Sun. morning. Try and call me before then. After that, try our cells. I promise I will keep mine ON (and with me). Did Ty and Shannon arrive safely? I'm sure you were glad to see them. I think you are in Guatemala City for the weekend, then back to Antigua on Sun. night? Update your blog. Love ya bunches - Mom

Unknown said...

Hey colter, I did get the package! Thank you so much, that meant a lot to me, I hope you are all doing well and that God is blessing you and working through you and in you. I love you man.
-Kyle