Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Escuela

First things first. I hate Brandon Jennings.

Now, things at the school have settled down significantly. I wanted to write yesterday about how things went but I was unable to use the computer. The past two days have been pretty action packed, however, less hectic. I will start with Tuesday.

Yesterday Shannon, Tyler, and I arrived to the school at about 9 AM. We taught English in as a team to three different ages. The middle kids (what we call the 9-12 year olds) are by far the best. They are eager to learn and retain the information well. Teaching to the younger kids is kind of a lost cause. Today Tyler and I read them Curious George in Spanish and they were entranced by the story. The older kids try but do not learn very easily but I think our presence there is important.

After school about 20 kids stayed which soon turned into our normal group of about 7 or 8 kids, Martita and the three gringos (white people, us). They told us that we were going to go for a walk/hike. It was pouring when we left with our umbrellas but let up pretty soon. We weren´t totally sure where we were going and soon ended up walking down this mountain. As we got further down the mountain we were wondering why the heck we were doing this. But Shannon pointed out if a 48 year old woman was doing this in a dress with the biggest smile ever, then we could laugh about it too. As we climbed down even farther we were able to see that below us was a soccer field with a few kids playing soccer and we figured out why they brough us here. We played some 5 on 5 soccer for about an hour and then hiked back up the mountain.

Tyler Shannon and I hung out with Samuel, Martita, Jocelyn, and Brandon for another hour or two and they gave us dinner. It was a great time. We had to walk home though because the busses stop running at 6 and it was about 6:30. When we were walking home we had to stop on the side of the road because there was a big puddle blocking our path. We decided to wait until all the cars had passed which would be a minute. We stodd on the side of the road and everyone was laughing as the cars went by. I was about 70% sure that we were about to be engulfed in a wave from an oncoming car but nobody else seemed to care. They were all laughing thinking about how fun this was. I think that experience really changed some things for me. I realized how for these kids and Martita, nothing had gone wrong in a couple days. If a car had driven by and splashed us (which didn´t happen) I am pretty sure that everyone would have just laughed.

Today was pretty similar in school to yesterday. After school was over today we went to the museum. The museum was really boring. If you want to know about it, you can read shannon´s blog, she probably liked it.

The one interesting thing that happened was before we went to the museum, it wasn´t raining at all. Wr got on the bus and during the 10 minute bus ride it started pouring. Once we got off the bus it was raining super hard and there was puddles everywhere. By the time we got inside I felt like I had just gone swimming, well maybe not quite that bad but we were pretty wet. Again, nobody cared, they all thought it was funny.

They are showing us such great care at the school. We can tell that they are doing everything they can to serve us the best food they can for lunch and dinner. Unfortunately, sometimes that is food that we have a little trouble keeping in. Since it is rude here to not finish your food, we always finish everything we get. The only thing that has been too rough to eat was this cheese thing they give us. It´s like a square of cottage cheese that is hard and super salty. Tonight I figured that if you put it in the bread and put eggs on top it, you can´t taste it that much.

Well, I suppose that´s all I have for now. I will write more about Samuel, Jocelyn, and Brandon later. They are amazing kids and I really like them all already, even though we don´t speak the same language. If anyone wants to adopt them, let me know. They´re all siblings.

-Colter

4 comments:

Jill said...

Colt, we missed you at softball last night.
They won both games last week when I was gone so I guess we figired out why we have been loosing. I just cant buy a hit. Maybe some time in the cage is needed.
Your blog is awesome and I am proud of you Son. I love you and miss you.
dad

Jill said...

Hi Colt -
First, here is your sports update: I agree that Brandon Jennings is a poop. His academics were questionable, so he probably would have ended up being a problem. Oklahoma City is getting their own NBA team. I voted on the name "Aviators" for them. Justin Upton may go on the DL. They are checking him out. Gary Hall Jr. is out of the olympics (big whoop) The Suns are signing Tyronn Lue. The D-backs are considering Barry Bonds. Thats it for now (unless you want to hear about A-Rod's divorce). My heart aches hearing about the 3 siblings at the orphanage. Having people there like you gives them hope and something to look forward to. Get an address where we can send mail to them. This week and next are devoted to Jamaica. Is there anything I need to do for you?
Love you - Peace out, Mom

Anonymous said...

i did in fact enjoy the museum, thank you very much. for everyone reading, i am not boring. i just appreciate art and culture which to the boys= boring

grama said...

Colter,the time is going by so fast. It is heartbreaking to read Shannon's description of the three children you have befriended. No child should ever feel unloved. Like some of our license plates say......"it shouldn't doler to be a nino". When children grow up in that environment, they usually end up being abusers themselves as parents.
How is your ojo doing? Can you tell us more about the types of food? Is it much different from the way we eat? I can't wait to have you fix us a meal of rabbit.....(JK) What is the time difference? Do you have access to a T.V.? What type of things do the children have for toys? Is this something that we would be able to send them? If so, could you get us addresses? What do yu do for entertainment? Brock and Cooper and Brocks friend Luke had a heck of an experience flying home, (alone) from Irvine, Ca. last nite. They will have to tell you about it when you get home but they were to leave a 8:45 in the
'tarde' and it was tres A.M when they got here. Brant called me last 'tarde' that he now has his own e-mail address. So I've heard from him several times.
Take care of yourself.......I love you. How do yu say grandmother? Grandmadre?