Monday, July 14, 2008

Ok

Well, I´m sorry that I haven´t written in a while. The last few days have been hectic and I haven´t been able to use a computer. Last week finished up swimmingly at the school. My relationships with the kids are building even more and I feel that we are doing a better job at teaching. On Thursday we went to the zoo after school. It was pretty fun. On Friday we left after school to do homestays with families from Betty´s (another woman who works for OC International) church. Tyler and I stayed with the youth pastor´s family. He has a 20 year old son named Pablo who is an awesome guy and showed us a great time. Shannon was at a different house and her weekend was not as fun as ours to say the least.

On Saturday night we went to the youth group at the new church which I will just say was one of the craziest experiences of my life. Everyone there was speaking in tongues which wasn´t that weird for me. It got weird when people started falling on the ground and convulsing, screaming at the top of their lungs, and casting out demons from people. It was really crazy and super unbiblical. Tyler and I felt very uncomfortable but were never really in fear for our saftey or anything. I don´t care what people say about the differences in culture, because what happened at that church was not biblical. The people there were really nice and after church Tyler and I talked with the people for a long time. On Sunday we ditched out on church really early as I had no desire to be there anymore.

Today was kind of a weird day for some reason. We went down to the soccer field again and while we were down there it started raining pretty hard and we had to hike back up the hill in the rain. Also, today when we were walking to the bus it started raining. But this wasn´t normal. You know how in movies it will all the sudden just start pouring out of nowhere with no build up to the storm. That is what happened. There was absolutely no rain and then all of the sudden it was pouring as if it had been for an hour. It was incredibly strange.

Tyler bought a soccer ball for Brandon (11 yrs old) and he seems very happy with it. He really likes soccer. I decided today that I want to get a guitar for Samuel (pronounced Sam-well, by the way) and a book to help him learn guitar. On the bus ride home I asked Jocelyn who her best friend was. She told me that her best friend is God. So I asked her who her second best friend was and she said ¨Usteded Tres," in reference to Tyler, Shannon, and myself. She´s a very sweet girl.

I will be home on Thursday. Although this has been a great experience and I love the relationships I´ve made here and the work we are doing, I am ready to come home. If I wasn´t going to be leaving for Jamaica right when I got back I might have a different mindset but I know that the next two weeks in Jamaica will be similar in difficulty so I am ready for a short break. We have been going very hard for quite some time and I am very emotionally tired from being with people 24/7 and constantly in motion. Please pray that I can finish up my work here strong despite being tired.

-Colter

1 comment:

Jill said...

Colter,
Your work there is nearly done. I know how hard it will be for you to leave your new friends. You have accomplished so much in a short time. God is as pleased with you as I am proud. I am anxious to see you and we are all excited about the next venture our family is about to embark on. I will meet you at the baggage claim area on Thurs. Don't worry if the flight is running behind - I will check before I leave home. Be safe honey, and know you are leaving there having left your mark. Love and Hugs, Mom